Connaught Hall is a fully catered intercollegiate hall of residence
of the University of London.

Warden: Dr Adrian Clark MBBS MRCEM



First aid & medical emergencies

Report all accidents, injuries, and medical emergencies to reception. A first aid box is kept at reception, and a qualified first aider can be summoned to help. Please do not try to find a first aider yourself as we operate a duty system for emergencies and walking around trying to find a first aider will cause delay.

Your options if you are injured or unwell include: self care; asking a pharmacist for advice or calling NHS Direct; visiting your GP or an NHS walk-in-centre; or going to the nearest emergency department.

If you call an ambulance or doctor out for yourself, please notify reception so that we can provide appropriate assistance and follow-up.

Use this poster to help you choose the best local healthcare service / facility to meet your needs.
The nearest emergency department is at University College Hospital (UCH), at the junction of Euston Road and Gower Street (8 minutes’ walk away).

NHS Direct is a trustworthy online health advice service. NHS 111 is a telephone service that you can call when you have an urgent health problem but not serious enough to call a 999 ambulance. 111 Can give you self-care advice & details of local health services, or call an ambulance for you.




You must always evacuate the building promptly when you hear the fire alarm. Please get to know two or three different escape routes during your first week in Hall.

Action in event of fire


Emergency services

The telephone number for all emergency services (police, ambulance, fire brigade) in the United Kingdom is 999.

If you need to contact the police but it’s not an emergency, you should call 101.



Lost key or ID card

If you lose your room key, you can obtain a replacement from reception 24 hours a day. The Hall Office can replace lost Hall ID cards during normal working hours. A fee is payable for replacements.



Personal & social problems

Approach the Warden or a Senior Member for advice any time, attend one of the Warden’s open office sessions, or email the Warden for an appointment:

The Warden and Senior Members can help with all kinds of problems, including academic, medical, or social worries, and disputes. Remember: if you need help, we are here for you.



Noise complaints

Visit our dedicated page about noise:





The University of London is an exempt charity in England and Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (reg. no. SC041194)